Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mr. D.C.




















"The children crying for hunger and I man a suffer
so you got to see, it's just collie that feeds me...
fifty cents a stick, and a dollar a quarter,
that's what keeps me alive, me and my two kids and wife..."

A lovely plea to a district constable by some poor guy who´s just trying to make a living by selling his harvest of collie - aka herb aka ganja, I´m sure you know what we´re talking about here - somewhere down in Jamaica back in ´77. Complete with an infectious chorus and wonderful horns, this is golden-throated dancehall pioneer Sugar Minott at his finest. Another winner from Studio 1.

"So give me a chance sir, a make me gwan little faster...
so let me pass through, and Jah will bless you...
Whoa-oa-oa D.C.... don´t you take my ishen,
Whoa-oa-oa D.C.... don't you touch my collie..."

Sugar Minott- Oh Mr. D.C. MP3

No comments: